9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Final Countdown!

We have only 33 days left until our due date. My medical training tells me that we aren’t going to make it that long. According to many unsolicited opinions, D’Brickashaw has dropped. She is carrying lower. We are experiencing Braxton-Hicks contractions. (Do I know my terminology, or what?!) It is time to secure a plan in case we start to dilate.

With just about a month to go, here is the scoop:

 I am drained. I feel like I just finished the Iditarod and I was one of the dogs pulling the sled. There is no time to rest right now. If you aren’t working or sleeping, it is a safe bet that you are doing something baby related. Only 18 more years of this to go.

 I started reading to the baby. Some pregnancy guides say it’s a good idea for me to talk to the child so he/she gets used to hearing my voice. Yes, that sounds a little strange but I figure it can’t hurt. The book I have chosen is Nick Hornby’s “A Long Way Down”. It is the story of 4 people who meet, by chance, on New Year’s Eve on the rooftop of a London building. Each has shown up there intent on committing suicide. Ok, so it’s not Dr. Seuss but at least I try and censer any F bombs while reading.

 Pampers or Huggies? I am still not sure.

 We almost have our hospital bags packed. First, we had to wash some of Brick’s new clothes. We had to use a detergent specifically designed for infants called Dreft. Or Drift. Or something like that. I don’t know what is so extraordinary about it but considering this special detergent and the bottle warmer and the diaper genie and the baby wipes warmer, I am wondering how our parents ever survived without all this stuff.

 This may be the final picture posted of Tracy with a belly.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her belly is so tiny - Cute! Cute! Cute!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

How exciting! Tracys' picture is cute. What a great baby belly :)

And the diapers...they're like jeans. Every brand fits every baby differently. It's a trial & error kind of thing.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that after your "Journey into the unknown" is over you will undoubtedly need to recoup. R & R sounds like a necessity. I sure hope that your wife deserves time off too. Just think, after a couple of months of not sleeping, a vacation with a bed and no interruptions might sound GREAT! I'm glad I didn't read this blog after I had my first two, Tracy probably would have been an "I don't think so."

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, don't get sucked into using a bottle warmer. The kid won't complain if he doesn't know.

Second, we actually used both Pampers and Huggies. The Huggies were what we used during the day (because Costco carried them - but they don't carry newborn diapers) and we used Pampers Ultra Dry at night because they never leaked. It worked for us.

Good luck!

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home