9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Zofran-tastic!

Flowers are blooming; birds are singing; rainbows appear out of every window in our home. That can only mean one thing. No, I am not high. Rather, this Zofran stuff really works. Who was complaining about the price? Not I. $370 for 2 ounces?! Heck, it would be a bargain at triple that price. Nary a heave has been heard within these walls for almost four days.

And recently, Tracy’s face has changed. The month long perma-frown has become inverted. The two invisible weights hanging from strings epoxied to each corner of her mouth have been miraculously lifted. Putting these symptoms in WebMD, I discovered this is called a smile. I must say, I like this “smile” thing.

So begins week 12 with renewed hope. (Although Dr. Quinn took it upon herself to skip a dose last night so she was feeling slightly worse this evening.) We are chasing down the end of our first trimester. Which brings us to our latest development. Saturday morning, we congregated in the kitchen to make pancakes. Pleased that the tsunami of nausea continued to recede, we paused the mixing of the batter for a brief, yet firm embrace. And then it hit me. Literally.

“Good christ woman! What is that thing poking me?!”

“In case you haven’t noticed, detective; that is my belly.”

We have a belly. This thing is huge. (And I don’t mean huge in a derogatory “you look huge” sense, but more of a “where there once was nothing there is now very much something” connotation. Where the hell was I? Since she won’t let me take an actual photo, here is an artist’s rendering of what it looks like:












Doesn’t she look great?!! The rest of the weekend we were actually able to focus on positive baby topics. With only 6 months to go, there is still much to be accomplished. First on the list was thinking of a new cute pet name for my wife. My initial two attempts of “Chubbs” or “Halle Belly”, were both met with abundant disapproval.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I came across your blog & your wifes 1st trimester sounds a lot like how mine was. I really feel for her. I was on zofran my entire pregnancy, even on the day I gave birth. It turns out that I had HG (hyperemesis gravidarum). Helpher.org really helped me out.

I wish her well & congrats to the both of you!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home