9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

People let me tell you about my best friend

No, this is not an homage post to the good-natured early 70’s television show The Courtship of Eddie’s Father. But that was a catchy theme song, wasn’t it?

How many times have you heard a bride and groom, when offering their own heart-crafted vows, recite the sentiment "you are my best friend…yada yada yada"? At our wedding, I believe one or both of us made such a mention as well. They even used that phrase, along with some goofy nautical references, in the recent hit Wedding Crashers. (Sidebar: Crashers was funny but second to the hilarious 40 Year Old Virgin for best comedy of 2005.)

I am sure most people who say it, feel it is true and in our case, well, we are no different. But what sucks about having a wife as your best friend is when she gets pregnant, you lose both! Now I know how Dick Cheney must have felt when he lost his buddy and hunting partner in one fell shot. (Ba-dum-bum!) Anyway, there is no real point to mentioning this other than it sucks! Sniff :-( Hey, it’s my pity-party and I’ll whine if I want to (whine if I want to).

Tomorrow morning we go for visit number two. I am going to ask the doc if she can speed this thing up. I have determined that nine months is just too long. I thought we would get to see the little jabeeper again but I found out we do not. I did find out that at week 8, when it looked like an alien, it was actually only the size of a grape. First it was rice; then a grape. I am anxious to see what food my child will be likened to in this visit. My money is on kiwi.

We do get to hear the heartbeat. Tracy is bringing a recorder, which I did not discourage at all, to tape these sounds. My guess is it’s going to sound like this; lub dub – lub dub – lub dub. I don’t want to sound like an insensitive chucklehead, but I am not as excited as my wife is about this. I wish I were. Maybe it is because I am not attached to Sally yet. After all it isn’t growing inside of me. And I feel really bad that I am not more enthusiastic. It might be time to check one of the numerous books lying around the house to see if this is normal.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you should read this article by Fergal Keane the BBC Correspondent who wrote this about his son... it's really excellent.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/rwanda/todaniel/

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Now!!! I would have to say if you have Sirrus Radio and are a Howard Stern fan you will know exactly what they will hear when they visit the Doctor to hear Sally's heartbeat. They had a heartbeat for the whole weekend prior to launching the show. Anyway I have a feeling, Sally will soon turn into a lil hamster,as we know that all they do is run around a lil wheel and never goes anywhere. That is how Derek is feeling since he lost his best friend and now just sits in the house and thinks of fun things to do. But hey, you started this whole evolution by finally shooting a real live one and not those blanks!!! From Yankmysox

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My excitement today is mainly to feel that all this miserable sickness is actually worth something. The little heartbeat that we'll hear today may give me that push to keep going :-)

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home