9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Pickles and ice cream

I didn’t think the cravings would come so soon and so mightily. But the first one has struck. Oh, it’s nothing weird like waffles smothered in Tabasco sauce. The food is quite normal. The strange part is, the one with the craving is ME!

Some Freaky Friday thing must have happened between us. I gather at one point I must have said, “I wish I could help you” while Tracy simultaneously said, “I wish you could help me”. We were, of course, referring to easing the nausea suffering but the pregnancy gods must have been drinking that afternoon, got some wires crossed and sent this piece of the baby making process along my way.

For the past week or so, I have been craving cake. All kinds of cake at all times. I normally like cake but not to this degree. I’m like the Cookie Monster’s torte-loving cousin. Last week in the cafeteria at work, they had a red velvet cake with strawberries and a cream cheese frosting. I stood there marveling at the pieces until someone kindly asked me to move.

Finally, I couldn’t resist anymore so Saturday I went to Fresh Market to soothe the hunger. Standing in front of the bakery display like a kid trying to decide which puppy to take home, I eventually settled on the Empire Chocolate Cake. This thing of beauty sports two blankets of fudgey chocolate frosting over a rich pastry mattress and topped with mini morsels of dark cocoa. But that wasn’t enough. I accompanied it with an equally massive slice of moist carrot cake stippled with diced walnuts. I am only slightly ashamed to say I polished off both pieces save for a few bites that Tracy sampled.

No cravings yet for the mother-to-be. I suppose it’s hard to crave a particular item when the thought of most foods turns you green. I imagine it’s like offering a bowl of raw spoiled oysters to someone coming off consecutive rides on the Tilt-A-Whirl. As soon as little Sally is old enough to appreciate what a punishment is, she is grounded for causing her mother such discomfort.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To all who read this blog this will give you an idea of what it is like to have a pregnant wife and what a man has to go through. Just remember after all the ups and downs you will have with your lovely wife, the precious gift presented to you after all is said and done, is one you will cherish forever. Enjoy the moment, as another my not follow, as the woman well tell you, kiss my ass pal, this is it. Signed a very excited Unlce

1:01 PM  
Blogger Derek, Tracy & Calvin said...

I just ate a cupcake.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY, what was deleted???

9:26 AM  
Blogger Derek, Tracy & Calvin said...

Hey - If George W. can wire tap, I can delete posts.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Derek, Tracy & Calvin said...

Kidding. The first post somehow published twice.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home