9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Doctors visit - #2

Week 10: Day 70 – Still sick.

Thursday morning was our second trip to the doctor’s office. The plan was; I would accompany Tracy, listen to the heartbeat and then hightail it to the waiting room before any medical stuff could transpire. Apparently the nurse girl, who probably has a more formal sounding title on her business card, had a different itinerary. She informed us that the first item of business was to take blood. I decided to gut it out and stay. Tracy had no such choice to make.

Nurse girl inserted the needle and took a vial of blood. And then another. And another. By the third vial (or should I say, vile), it was a race to see which one of us would pass out first. Knees were weakening. We were like the final contestants in Fonzie’s dance marathon demonstrating all the stability of a Weeble. Yes, we were wobbling but these Weebles do fall down.

Luckily, the blood sucking stopped. She removed the vials from the room and allowed us a moment. Tracy leaned back to rest, reading the comics strategically tacked to the ceiling. I took a deep breath, scratched the recently grown Chia Pet on my chin, collected myself and I was back in the game.

The doctor came in the room and, with tape recorder in hand, we were ready.

Doctor – "How are you feeling?"
Tracy – "Terrible."
Doctor – "Excellent. That means the baby is healthy."

Did she just say excellent?!
In an Ally McBeal moment, I imagined myself springing from my chair and grabbing the doctor in a viscous choke-hold like Homer Simpson on Bart... Why you little…. If being sick means having a healthy baby then we are growing our own Gunner Peterson. I mean, this kid is going to pop out doing Billy’s Tae Bo Boot Camp.

I snapped back to reality to see the instrument placed on my wife’s belly. It was an amazingly simplistic procedure to hear the heartbeat. I’m not sure what I was expecting but she just placed in on the stomach and presto! - there was noise. At first just a gentle ticking. Then the doc repositioned the microphone and little Sally was loudly chugging away full steam. Strong like bull. We both agreed it sounded like she was doing a load of laundry.

For a moment, as we listened to this delightful sound, I saw the green of sickness wane from my wife’s face replaced, albeit briefly, by a smile that clearly said, "Ok, this makes it worth it." And for me, that look on her face made it worth it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, hearing the heartbeat was quite amazing and confirmed for me that there is something truly there that requires everything I've got. Only a few more weeks and then "they" say I'll wake up one day and feel amazing with all this bottled up energy and full of life feeling. "They" better be right!!!
:-)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Sasha@Pw said...

It is amazing to hear your baby's heart beat for the time! Sounds like you're hanging in there for your wife. Congratulations and good luck with sally :)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home