9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Monday, July 17, 2006

Sunday, Bloody Good Sunday!

“My karma ran over your dogma”
- from a bumper sticker we saw in Sedona

Sunday was a very strange day. Have you ever had one of those days where everything seems to be going wrong? For me, that is just about any day with a “Y” in it. But yesterday…was different.

It started first thing in the morning. We were out of peanut butter chips, so I could not make my world famous “peanut butter chip pancakes”. (Go ahead. Ask about them next time you are in Yemen. They know. ) Instead of eating in, we decide to go to the local bagel café. We are lucky enough to grab the last available booth. Shortly after our arrival, a couple enters toting a young child. We hear them tell the hostess they will wait for a booth, rather than sit at one of the less comfortable tables. Tracy and I decide to move to a table, and inform the couple they can have our booth. They are very appreciative and thank us abundantly. Upon leaving, they once again say thanks before heading out. Our waitress then comes over and tells us they picked up our tab for breakfast. Sweet! Free grub.

On the way home from breakfast, I make it through a traffic light I NEVER make. Seems like a small matter but this light haunts me like rolling balls haunt Bill Buckner. She’s a funny thing that Karma.

We had already designated Sunday a house-preparing, errand-running day. With only 10 weeks left, time is ticking away. One of the many items on my “to do” list was replace the master bath shower head with a new one and move the one from the master bath to the guest bath. Water values and heavy duty glue were involved so this was surely a recipe for disaster. At the very least, I figured Rodnetta was going to learn some new 4 letter words. I am happy (thrilled actually) to say I managed to complete this task without flooding either bathroom or epoxying myself to any tiles (or to other parts of myself for that matter). Granted this was not rocket science, but the results were unprecedented in my home improvement history. Oh Glorious day!

And the day just kept getting better. We have been trying to sell a dresser for months. Yesterday, we receive a call inquiring about the dresser from our ad on Craigslist.com. Less than an hour later, the dresser is in the back of some guy named Kaz’s pick-up truck on its way to a new home.

After we sold the dresser, it was time for another stop at…(gulp) Home Depot. We had decided to try a different size air filter in hopes that I could forcibly squeeze the new one in place. So there I was, standing in the air filter aisle, looking at all of my options, when I notice a brand new box of filters that match the exact specifications I need. I may be mistaken but the box seemed to be glowing as I heard a chorus-like “ahhhhhhh” echoing in my head. Truly something divine was happening.

Our final stop on the errand trail was a craft store for paints and fabric. As we left the store, Tracy notices they only charged us for one yard of fabric. Free fabric! Sweet. At this point we are both a little spooked. I was half expecting to drop dead right there on the spot from some massive embolism. The punch line to this cosmic joke.

But alas, no such fate awaited me. It was just a great day full of green lights, free stuff and tremendous accomplishments. Rodnetta’s room has been prepped so let the decorating begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home