9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Friday, July 07, 2006

Home Depot sucks!

Yes, I know I said that before but it deserves to be repeated. Here I am trying to be a good father-to-be and once again that forsaken place leaves me with nothing but grief. With less than 12 weeks until baby, it is time to step up preparations.

My first item to purchase was paint for the wall stencils we’ve chosen. I need small quantities of several colors but they do not sell anything smaller than a bucket of paint. However, given the type of store, I should have known this and won’t really hold it against them. In the end, no paint was purchased.

The second item on the list was a new air filter for the A/C unit. Apparently, these nifty little objects should be changed more than once in a great while. Now, you would think they would just build all units one size. They do not. And in this case in particular, size does matter. My filter needs to be 19” X 18” X 1”. Home Depot carries 1142 versions of the 18 inch filter and another 752 variations of the 20 inch one. Not a single 19 inch filter in the bunch. In baseball terms, we were 0 for 2.

Finally, we had recently discovered that our water filter, which should be changed yearly, has not been replaced since 2003. (My apologies to all those who’ve had a glass of H20 at my house over the past 3 years). We hit the water filter aisle and the selection is sparse. A couple of different types from mainly the same brand. Naturally, none of which match my specifications. In a store this massive, you would think they should have more. So I ask the nearest employee;

“Excuse me. Can you tell me if these are all the water filters you carry?”
“Um…I’m not sure. I think so.”

You think so?! You think so?! Well, I think so too. That is why I asked you. I was hoping you would know so. Isn’t that part of your job? Shouldn’t you people be required to receive at least a basic training of the store’s inventory? So customers can get something more than, “I think so”… end of conversation. One of the inanimate lighting fixtures in aisle three could have provided me with equally as much information. And now thanks to you and your store, little D’Brickashaw will have to suffer by breathing filthy air and drinking tainted water. I hope you are happy!

I didn’t really say all that but I oh so wanted to!

4 Comments:

Blogger Moooooog35 said...

Derek,

I really think this is a reflection of Home Depots in Florida - where, I believe, the desire to actually DO construction in 110 degree heat is akin to wanting bamboo shoots stuffed under your nails. As a result, I don't find it too hard to believe that the expertise at an HD in Florida is nil (and would be more like - "really? you want to do WORK in this weather? Who knew? I didn't sign on for this.")

Here in NH, all we have to say is "Hi, I have a small part in my toilet that.." and - BOOM - we're whisked to aisle five by a guy who used to actually OWN a toilet store (Johns-R-Us) somewhere and knew exactly what I was going to ask for. It's actually kind of creepy. My only problem with Home Depot is that they keep increasing my limit on my HD card...thus allowing me the luxury of buying more mulch than I actually have room for.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Derek, Tracy & Calvin said...

That sounds like a dream! Is the store filled with rainbows and unicorns too? Maybe it is time I moved.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Moooooog35 said...

Rainbows and Unicorns are in aisle 6.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you could get a job there - you already know what aisle the light fixtures are on.

And you KNOW your store doesn't carry rainbows and unicorns.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home