9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Sunday, June 11, 2006

What's your name?

Naming a baby is a lot like choosing a tattoo. You want to be very particular because each is mostly permanent. With that in mind, the name D’Brickashaw has officially been shot down like a Scud. While we both agree that Brick and Shaw are worthy nicknames; that alone is not enough to keep the name in the running. 1,400 miles away, my mother is letting out a sigh of relief. (Although I am not counting it out as a middle name)

This past weekend we went out for an upscale dinner and followed that with a trip to the beach. We brought along a blanket and our respective lists of baby names. It was time to compare notes. We volleyed a few suggestions back and forth before the first official rejection was handed out.

Tracy offered the name Claire and I immediately broke into The Breakfast Club dialogue. “Claire?! … It’s a family name….No. It’s a fat girl’s name…Thank you…” (and so on). I loved The Breakfast Club but I don’t want my child to remind me of Molly Ringwald. Or Emilio Estevez for that matter.

Tracy had similar feelings about the name Fletch. And while we both adored The Negotiator, my recommendation of Samuel L. Medwid was also put on the “probably not” list.

After 45 minutes on the beach, which was all our 2 quarters, a dime and a nickel would allow for in the meter, we are still without a name. But we feel we have made significant progress. We each have some suggestions for the other to mill over and then we have proposed to reconvene to see if we can agree on something. For now, we’ll have to stick with Sally/Dennis/Zoe/D’Brickashaw/Elizabeth.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Decided to check out and see if there were any new additions and low and behold, we are discussing "names." I am 100% with Derek's Mom and am glad to hear that Brick & Shaw are out of the running. I hope that means Schnebly Marley Medwid is also down the tubes. Aunt Pat has a suggestion, how about "Pietrina," even if it is a boy!!!! OK, so only if we have a girl. Ok, guess the joke is on us. Aunt Pat said stop laughing, we were only kidding.

Love the "2 Sisters"

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Medwid Jr. would be cool, then I could call him Jr. As far as the girl, I know alot of sexy stripper names if you need some suggestions(STAR, DIAMOND, TABATHIA, a few others). I'm know for sure that you all will put in a huge effort to come up with a very unique name. Good luck!!!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Derek, Tracy & Calvin said...

Let's try and steer clear from the sexy stripper names. In fact, I'll name her Bertha or Maude just to make sure no strip clubs will hire her.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home