9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Weekend Update: Week 8

My wife is missing. I am speaking figuratively, of course. Two thirds of the way through the first trimester and the last month can’t pass soon enough. And I am not just speaking for myself. I am sure Tracy feels the same way. I understand once the second trimester begins, there will be a day when she wakes up and feels relatively normal again.

Based on the information in a book we are reading, the baby has passed the seed stage and now resembles something along the lines of a little lizard complete with a tail. Kinda gross. Hence, I have stopped referring to the baby as Pilaf, and now called it Sally (as in salamander). Along with its tail, the major organs are starting to form. This requires nutrition so the mother is instructed eat 52 small meals a day.

The intense vomiting from morning sickness has been thankfully absent but replaced by a continuos morning, afternoon and evening nausea. It’s an endless seasick feeling like living onboard the Andrea Gail except without the hunky Mark Wahlberg. This would make is hard for anyone to smile let alone feel chipper for any extended period. Tracy is usually one of the cheeriest people on the planet but the daily queasiness, bursts of hiccup like sounds, required food and water intake and general tiredness has transformed her into something different. Mind you, I am not blaming her. I feel bad but there is nothing I can do. I now realize the science of baby growing is quite simple. In order to create a life, the little tyke must suck the life out of you. At least for the first three months.

The hormonal outbursts have been sparse save for one about a canceled trip to Las Vegas. And surprisingly, it wasn’t my outburst! This eruption came on like a rogue wave crashing through the kitchen. My normally even-tempered wife was hysterical over the notion that I might be a little disappointed our upcoming trip has been cancelled. (She’s so cute) I tried to make her feel better by telling her I could still go and I would take lots of pictures of my trip for her. This is when I learned a valuable lesson. Don’t make jokes at a time like this. I think I need to start writing these things down.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am missing. I feel like I'm stuck between the Twilight Zone and Groundhog Day. Just stepping off an upside down, backwards, never ending spinning ride, feeling terribly dizzy and ready to puke my brains out but instead decide to get right back on again.

Don't forget me, I'll be back soon (I hope)!!!!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'll wait until all this queasiness wears off before I can finally hear "Yah, we're gonna have a baby." In the meantime, eat your crackers and whatever else it takes to get through the day. "Congratulations."

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's normal to feel dizzy, off balance, memory loss, stretching pains, cranky, short tempered etc (kind of like the exorcist-laughing) (I think you get it)..... you both are beautiful people and this is one lucky baby to have you as parents. It's normal to feel all these emotions you are going through. Your not alone we all have been there. Hec how bad can it be if we keep having 1,2,3 kids. It's the best roller coaster ride you can ever imagaine...Hang in there, get past these 3 months and it will get better, till towards the end when your body is getting ready for delivery. Remember this is a miracle you both created and when the little one comes you'll forget all of this. It will get better :)

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home