9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Monday, September 18, 2006

4 DAYS LEFT!

Today started with another unexpected visit to the doctor’s office. For the first time since we became pregnant, I decided not to go in with Trac to the see the doctor. Instead, I opted to sit outside and read my book.

While reading, I observed a young couple, apparently early in their stages of pregnancy. She looked nauseous. He looked indifferent, blabbing away on his cell phone. Shortly after, I noticed she was sitting on the ground, cupping both her forehead and stomach. Ah, memories of the first trimester. How sweet it was. I continued reading only to be interrupted by cell phone guy barking at his wife/girlfriend;

“Get Up! Will you just get up! You are sitting in your own puke. That’s disgusting.”

Yep, she was. And he’s going to make a fine dad some day. Anyway, they worked out their issue and I attempted to keep reading, secretly hoping in some small way that Tracy would emerge from the office with our child in hand. “The doctor said it was ready so she just yanked it out”, she would say as she hands me little D’Brickashaw.

Alas, nothing of the sort happened. We are still on target for a Thursday inducing (or would it be induction?) though we could go earlier because, as the doc put it, Tracy is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

We got lots of helpful hints for ways to kick-start the birthing process.

Do lots of walking – “lots” is a relative term when you can only walk .03 miles per hour. We left our house at lunchtime and reached the end of our driveway by dusk. (meaning we were walking very slowly, not that we have a really really long driveway)
Spicy foods & castor oil – seems like urban legends but we tried neither so I cannot confirm nor deny the effects.
Adult relations – um, I never thought I’d say this but, I pass.
Clean the kitchen floor on hands and knees – Now this one seems practical. You help speed up labor and you get a cleansed floor. Of course, if your water does break, so much for the clean floor. This method, as with the spicy food, was not tested.
Rubbing the breasts – I rubbed mine all day Saturday and nothing happened.

And so, the wait continues.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Wow, if anyone ever yelled at me for being sick like that, I would've picked up a handful of puke & thrown it at them. Jerks.

And oh, memories....I remember trying everything to get Logan to come out early (except for castor oil. YUCK & Bill pulled out the "pass" card too).

I ate stupid salads & walked forever. The day before Logan was born, I was in the hospital walking for 3 hours straight. He still decided that he was going to wait until the next day to be born. I guess he's stubborn like me.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband "passed" as well. What is it w/ you men anyway? You want it all the time, but when we NEED it, you won't do it. Hmmph ;)

I ended up using castor oil (4 oz, mixed w/ 4 oz OJ and a tsp of baking soda). I'd chug a bit, and then take a swig of OJ.. (that made it easier to swallow). I did this at 10:45 PM on Tuesday night.. and ran to the bathroom ALL night looooong.. contracted Wednesday ALL thru the night and gave birth to our daughter at 10 AM Thursday morning.

The castor oil isn't the best recommendation, but at least I got everything out of my system and didn't poop on the table! ;)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Derek, Tracy & Calvin said...

Yo - anonymous! TMI!!!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell trac that grandma went to hang curtains and went into labor on the ladder so try hanging curtains and see what happens.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home