9 Months

A Journey Into the Unknown World of Becoming a Dad

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Random ramblings

Last week we had another visit to the doctor. Nothing wrong, just a routine check up. We both entered the examination room and Tracy sat up on patient table while I casually thumbed through my book, pretending not to be uncomfortable. The doctor made her appearance and asked some basic questions. Then she slathered the Smuckers on Trac’s stomach and prepared the Doppler. (For those not paying attention, that is the device used to hear the heartbeat.)

It was within these next few moments when something happened that hit me like a side of beef smacked upside my head. The doctor shifted the Doppler and we all sat eagerly awaiting the thump-thump of little Zoe’s ticker. Nothing. She repositioned it. Nothing. At that very moment, my own heart sank. What if…

I didn’t want to appear concerned so I sat there silently. Stoic. My eyes focused purposefully on the doctor’s face to see if I could discern any hint of fear in her expression. She was stone-faced. Time stood still while the doctor continued to wiggle the Doppler around Tracy’s belly like kid using a video game joystick.

When Zoe’s heartbeat finally broke the silence, I think I let out an audible gasp. The little washing machine was chugging along as strong as ever. The doctor’s first words were "everything sounds perfect." I don’t even remember what happened during the rest of the visit. When my kid gets as much as a paper cut, I am going to be a complete wreck.

As Matt Lauer would say; on a much lighter note, I tasted my first Preggo Pop today with no weird side effects. It was relatively tasty. And we got one more bit of good news. Our blood sugar levels are all hunky-dory. Results showed Tracy aced her test.

So now we are off on vacation. We are embarking upon a 6 day, 4 state road trip from the Mountains of Asheville, North Carolina to the beaches of Saint Augustine, Florida. Bon voyage!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SUPER psyched to be going away!!! I'm feeling MUCH more normal these days, with just a little extra baggage, and I'm not speaking of what was packed for the trip. It's very "interesting" to feel all the changes my body is experiencing. The delay of the heartbeat scared me as I'm sure you could imagine but what a relief to hear it again!!!! Anxious to meet the little one!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home